Thistle Housing Association urgently seeks transfer proposals
Thistle Housing Association (THA) is inviting proposals from suitably qualified Registered Social Landlords (RSLs) for a transfer.
THA is a charitable RSL and currently owns 947 houses and provides factoring services for a further 786 households in the Toryglen area of Glasgow.
Following statutory intervention by the Scottish Housing Regulator (SHR), THA commissioned an independent Options Appraisal. A number of options were considered to secure the best future for tenants and service users of THA. This option appraisal was considered against a backdrop of serious and historic failures by THA in relation to:
- Tenant, resident and landlord safety, including failures in relation to the management of asbestos, electrical, fire, gas, lift, and water safety
- Financial health
- Governance and boards skills
- Asset management
- Contract management
- Provision of complete and accurate returns to the SHR
- Compliance with good practice in business planning
- Compliance with the Scottish Social Housing Charter
- Communication with tenants and residents
- Compliance with employer obligations in relation to the safety of employees
See THA’s Engagement Plan on the SHR website for more information.
As a result, THA’s Management Committee decided that it urgently requires the assistance of a strong proactive partner RSL for a transfer.
The prospective partner will be required to provide the following:
- To provide expert staff assistance at an early stage prior to finalising the transfer to ensure landlord compliance in relation to tenant and resident safety
- To similarly provide technical support at an early stage, prior to transfer to enable a major remedial improvement contract affecting THA tenants and owners to be planned, procured and managed
- To manage relationships with public and private investors
- To manage the relationship with Glasgow City Council, as strategic housing authority
- To provide immediate and long term assurance on affordable rents
- To provide assurance and support on tenant and resident involvement
- To support and develop existing community projects
- To retain a presence in Toryglen
- To respect TUPE Regulations for existing THA staff
- To formulate a plan for Toryglen to contribute to meeting the future needs and aspirations for housing in Glasgow
- To remedy the failings in THA’s existing business plan
We would invite interested RSLs to confirm their interest and proposals to deliver points 1 to 11 above on no more than 2 pages of A4 paper by electronic mail by 12 noon on 27/01/2020 to:
Bob McGuire (Interim Director) on Bob@thistle-ha.org.uk
For further information interested RSLs should contact Bob McGuire in the first instance or
John Mulholland (Statutory Manager) on JohnMulholland@thistle-ha.org.uk